Temporary Stay

If a foreigner plans to stay in Serbia for more than 90 days, he must have a temporary residence permit.
Based on this document, he/she can remain in Serbia for a year.
Upon the expiration of that period, the stay may be extended every year until the foreigner chooses to leave the country.


Approval of temporary residence in Serbia is usually required for foreigners for:

  • Education, studies, specialization or scientific work
  • Employment
  • Associating with family members


If a foreigner comes to Serbia for employment, which is the most common case, the encroachment of temporary residence is connected with obtaining a work permit.

In this case, these two processes run parallel.


Documentation you need to give us if you are employed in Serbia:

In order for the WorkVisa Agency to initiate the process for obtaining a temporary residence permit for an foreigner based on employment, a foreigner or HR service of the company in which the foreigner is employed should provide us with the following documents:

  • Passport (valid at least 90 days after issuing a visa)
  • “White card”
  • Two photographs measuring 40 mm x 30 mm
  • Employment contract, with the note that the employment starts after obtaining a residence visa
  • Letter of explanation on the need for employment of foreign citizens on the company’s memorandum
  • Solution of the Business Registers Agency (also known as APR), which provides information on company registration and the latest changes.


The documentation you need to give us if you stay in Serbia for more than 90 days on another basis:

  • Passport (must be valid for at least 90 days after issuing a visa)
  • Filled application for issuing a residence visa (3 copies)
  • Proof of paid fee for issuing a residence visa
  • Two photographs measuring 3.5 x 4.5 cm
  • Address of residence in Serbia
  • Evidence of the reasons for staying in Serbia
  • White card
  • Evidence of sufficient funds for staying in Serbia
  • Health Insurance